Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Maltese Falcon; worth seeing, but nothing special

Humphrey Bogart plays a corrupt, cynical detective in another film noir motion picture movie about two detectives, Sam Spade, played by Bogart, and Miles Archer who are not as legitimate as they may seem. Spade and Archer are hired by Miss. Wonderly to shadow a man by the name of Thrusby, who she claims ran off with her sister and won't allow her to go back home. Although it seems like her story is honest and sincere, Wonderly's, or should I say Brigid O'Shaughnessy's, lie is revealed when Sam's partner Miles is shot while supposedly tailing Thrusby. Once Thrusby is found killed a baffling case begins to take form and all evidence points to Spade as the murderer. As the bodies continue to pile up and new potential suspects are introduced, Brigid O'Shaughnessy admits the real reason she hired Spade and Archer. Watch and see why Brigid O'Shaughnessy, Joel Cairo, Kasper Gutman and Thrusby will do anything in their power to get their hands on the Maltese Falcon. There are no rules, money is mans best friend and everyone is corrupt.
In my opinion this movie was all over the place, although they did solve the mystery, or what was left of it, by the end of the movie I had trouble following what was happening in specific parts of the film. I understand that the point of this movie was to be baffled by the content, but I felt like I was baffled to a point where it distracted me from the movie itself. It was hard for me to enjoy, but I should admit that I am not as comfortable with these types of movies as I am with melodramas or comedies. Perhaps I feel this way because I am not used to watching crime films, especially film noir. Overall, I think Maltese Falcon is a creative representation of crime during the forties and presents a thoughtful explanation of how corruption could be helpful, but this movie was definitely not a favorite of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment